Useful Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is Grandparents For Grandchildren S.A. Inc. a government agency?

No, GFGSA is a not for profit community organisation with charitable status. We are funded through various grants, donations and memberships. We collaborate with government agencies and other charitable organisations when required to find solutions for grandparents with their individual set of circumstances concerning grandchildren who are at risk or in crisis.

Q. Are your Client Advocates social workers?

No, our Client Advocates are people who demonstrate empathy and excellent listening skills. They draw from excellent internal training, their own similar experiences to advise and support grandparents often dealing with very complex and stressful issues, and suggest solutions to improve the care of the grandchildren.

Q. I feel my grandchildren are at risk or in crisis within their home environment, what can I do?

There are a number of aspects to consider. GFGSA can inform you of your rights and what options are open to you. GFGSA can refer you to psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and lawyers who may represent grandparents in the Family and Youth Courts. GFGSA can attend family care meetings with Families SA at the Youth Court and Family Court hearings, if requested, in support of the grandparents and the grandchildren.

Q. I don’t have access to my grandchildren – can you help me?

Grandparents will be pleased to know that the principle guiding the Family Law Act of 1975 and the S.A. Child Protection Act 1993, remains as ‘what is in the best interest of the child.’ The Family Law Act and the S.A. Child Protection Act 1993 recognise the importance of the relationships that each child has with their extended family, particular grandparents. The Court takes these relationships in account when determining ‘what is in the best interests of the child.’

This includes the important issue of grandparent’s visitation rights to their grandchildren.

GFGSA hold monthly support group meetings for grandparents. Go to Whats On.

Q. What will it cost me to seek help from GFGSA?

Subscriptions are free but donations are encouraged for the much needed funds to continue its valuable work.

Q. My three grandchildren live with me and I am not sure what financial assistance, if any, is available to help me. Can you help me with this please?

GFGSA is not in a position to financially help individual grandparents however we can help by connecting grandparents with government agencies to assist with school cards, negotiate reduced fees for essential services and assistance to completing Centrelink and legal forms, and facilitating positive outcomes for children with special needs.

Grandparents can apply for an education trust fund administered by GFGSA: Application for Educational and Sports Funding

Q. My twin grandsons have been in my care for 2 years and I need to go to hospital for an operation. Can you help me?

GFGSA works in tandem with a number of service providers and charitable organisations who may be able to assist grandparents with respite for a weekend, or 3-4 days if and when required